Followers

08 December 2009

Living Vs. Life



I was eight years old when I first stole money from my grandfather’s pocket...the amount as small as Rs.2, sufficient enough to fulfil my candy requirement. Now, my eight year old child has a bank account, an ATM card with a defined drawing limit. His adequate pocket money leaves no room for emptying grandfather’s pocket. I pity my child. His childishness is stolen.


Needless to mention that we are hooked to technological comfort, luxury and sophistication which paved way for a better living, but where is life? I cannot help comparing the rivers that taught us to swim with the chlorinated swimming pools,the moon light dinners to candle lit ones and the dozen cousins with whom we chatted endlessly to those now accessed only through Yahoo Messenger and that too in heavily American accented mother tongue.The farms we visited is substituted by Farmville,bed time stories by CDs,the thrill of climbing countless trees and boarding / alighting fast moving trains by virtual games.We drank well water and were not vaccinated for unpronounceable diseases.Not once were we counselled by experts,never needed Google to answer our queries.We literally laughed out loud and didn't have to LOL online.

A couple of decades and our lives turned topsy-turvy.I forgot when exactly I shut my real life door and opened the virtual windows to view the world.The world is small now-yet the gap wide,life advanced-relationship declined,bondage is now matter of connectivity,blood is not thicker anymore,its the bandwidth.Why would I greet anyone personally on a festive occasion when I can comfortably bulk sms?Its me and you who have allowed the trespasser to intrude and dominate.

Today,my fridge is filled with chocolates imported from every nook and corner of this planet,yet my candy bought by stolen 2 rupees was sweeter.I wish my kids taste it too.


14 comments:

Hema said...

i have to admit that i was eagerly anticipating wot will ur next write-up will be and once again i was not dissapointed at all.

u are rite, i read somewhere too that this is called the generation of high-tech prince and princesses :P

neways lovely write-up akka.... nostalgic ;)

Destined to follow said...

THIS is so beautiful,I cant tell you what I feel like....hats off to you Madam

Mindbite said...

Out of box thinking !!! Few people can only think in these lines in this cyber world, where we are chasing without knowing, what we are running for. Amazing stuff. absolute agreement with you. Continue to create awareness.

Star R.S said...

Aiyoh...Engayo poyiteenga!! Chance e illa..Simply amazing , word play is awesome, gave me a sense of imagery comparing the old days to the so called 'virtual world'..You can become a writer for sure ,a best selling author or something!!

the lady said...

@ Star R.S...thanks..this encourages me to write more:)

satyu said...

to sum up in one word, its called evolution...organisation and systematisation have always been changing lifestyle from so-called spontaneity to mechanisation...there was a time in history when we used to eat raw food..but if we do that now, the result is an upset stomach...
and the words spontaneity and soulful living are relative with constantly changing meanings with the timeline..
by this argument we can always say the generation before us was happy, which is of little consequence...and we always take up newer systems with a compromise...that has been the fundamental law of nature and will never cease to be...

Damodar said...

Wow.!
Hat off for the Beautiful and Out of Box Thoughts.
Every word, every sentence is so touching to the Heart.
Not only this, The whole Destiny.
Such a True Destiny :)

Anonymous said...

Mind-blowing 'the lady'

I messed up with my comments on the blog earlier ..my sincere apologies,count on me as one of your fans:)

Nik said...

you are a thief for sure,you have stolen our hearts with your writing

the lady said...

thanks everyone....and @Anonymous,there is no need for apology, keep reading and you are free to express your views

VJSH said...

Exuberant.
The eulogies/comments itself says away everything about ur writing.

karthik said...

Truly yes.

Amith said...

that was impressive :)
i loved it :)

Vishwanath Seshadri said...

Truly well written.. Like you, I too have once stolen as a child from the home to buy a samosa at school. I still havent gotten over my guilt feeling :)

Yes, the freedom and the flexibility enjoyed during our childhood is hardly seenamongst the younger generation of today. Perhaps, they are having other kinds of fun which we are blissfully unaware of :))